It's not often I get a High School visit, my schools mainly being the Elementary and Junior high (stopping at 16years old.) Therefore, it being a rare occasion, it is quite often a pleasure. It can also be a like swimming through mud, as in Leanne's case, where the kids are asleep on the tables, look at you gormlessly, refuse to open their mouths and speak one word, or carry on conversations with somebody on the opposite side of the classroom no matter how many times the softly spoken teacher asks them to be quiet. (that softly spoken teacher is obviously the Japanese one, not me!) Today's plan was pretty relaxed, the students just had to remember who I was, and then they had to tell me what they wanted to do in the future. I had some priceless answers. One girl wanted to be a Food Fighter. I was like, "er... what exactly does that entail?" Dietician? Waste disposal? No, a Food Fighter is apparently one of these people who enters eating competitions and eats as much as possible to win the challenge. I explained to the girl she was a bit thin, and she would have to do some serious beefing up if she wanted to take this career seriously. I should have offered to train her. I'm a great Food Fighter. A boy told me he wanted to be a hair and make up artist. With a completely straight face. And I don't think he was gay either, although you never can tell with the J-Boys. One girl wanted to be a clinical psychologist. Now this is all well and good, but you see this particualar high school is a vocational high school. ie., they all study book keeping and go on to be accountants or bank clerks. So I just said, "well, it takes about 7 years you know?! At least, it does in England.... In Kirsty's case anyway." But, not one to crush the dreams of the young, I said I'm sure she could do it. It did worry me that she hadn't even thought of studying psychology at University though. What kind of clinical psychology do they practice in this country???
Then there was the usual cheeky (but very cute, ill give him that, even if he is only 18 years old) guy in the front trying to catch my eye all lesson being all cocky and asking me the usual "Do I have a boyfriend?". It takes all my will power to not turn around and say "Why? You offering? Come on then, show me what you got BOY". They'd run a mile!!!
Tuesday, February 20, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment