Thursday, March 15, 2007

Comparisons.

10 Things I miss about England:

1. Grass, Parks, Allotments.
2. Not being stared at/scowled at.
3. Cheap fruit.
4. The Toon.
5. Recycling.
6. Cider. Especially Scrumpy Jack.
7. Bumping into people in the street and them just throwing their arms around me without hesitation and giving me a big kiss on the cheek. Sigh.
8. Techno, and you know what else.
9. The Brighton. (for those of you who don't know, the Asian store at the top of my street which sells pretty much everything you could possibly want to maintain your body as a temple.)
10. My girls. You know who you are. (Dan, you're included in this.)

10 Things I love about Japan.

1. Mountains. And climbing them.
2. How anybody, child or adult, can settle ANY problem, with Rock Scissor Paper. I swear that must be how they settle some of those tricky problems in Government.
3. Manners. Good Morning, Good Day, Good Evening, Good Night, Please, Thank you very much, you're very welcome, excuse me, forgive me for entering, forgive me for leaving before you, thank you for your hard work. (all of the above said every day, by everybody. In Japanese, of course. I know it may look a bit exhausting and unnecessary, but it is actually quite nice once you get used to it. )
4. 7/11's. Being able to buy ANY drink, at ANY time of day, just around the corner. Most convenient.
5. Japanese children. I don't think I have ever been so nearly moved to tears so often by just how goddam cute the kids are.
6. Wonderful, wonderful, cheap sushi.
7. Mitsuko. My Korean/ Japanese friend, who feeds me even more food than 151 Sidney Grove. I never thought that was possible.
8. Onsens. Waking up in the morning, feeling rough as a badgers arse, and being able to make all the pain go away with a hot spring.
9. Trains ALWAYS being on time.
10. My girls. You know who you are. (You're included in there Marko.)
11. Merida. (i know, this is 11, but she'd be gutted if she thought she'd been left off the list. Technically she should come up there before the mountains but.....)

1 comment:

Rosie said...

You're on the money there, mate. I love the hot towels in restaurants in winter. So good.