Sunday, February 03, 2008

The folks.

This post is completely unrelated to Japan, so sorry for the irrelevance. But keeping up with the pseudo-diary as Lucy refers to it, it is sometimes nice to refer back to life at home, and of course, the people there. Like for instance, my family.

After losing our dog Rosie, my parents pottered about for a year, with this longing in their eyes, missing the sound of the pitter patter of tiny feet. Or paws, I should say. So they went out and rescued a Staffordshire Terrier from the RSPCA. Chloe, 8 years old, a the gentlest thing you've ever met. At least you think so, at first. She is fine with people. It is just other dogs in the village she has issues with. Serious issues. Apparently this is the norm with Staffies, great with humans, crap with dogs. She terrorises all the other dogs in the village. This one dog, belonging to a rather irritating family, got into a huge fight with her. Or, I guess, she started it with him. The good thing is, this other dog is a little shit and a lot of the village is somewhat unnerved by it, he will attack anything on 2 legs. So after Chloe went and had a go at him, got her teeth into his leg and tore half his flesh off, she became the local hero and my mum was getting calls of congratulations from half the village. Hilarious. Sadly, the vet bills were not so hilarious. And it doesn't stop there. Naturally they kind of had to muzzle her after this, every time they took her out. Eventually she made a friend, Buddy, and after quite a few walks together, my mum and dad thought she could be taken off the muzzle as she didn't seem to have a problem with Buddy. This however, wasn't the case, she was lulling everybody into a false sense of comfort, and once the muzzle was released, she showed her true colours and buddy nearly lost an eye. The weirdest thing is that Chloe seems to be the gentlest of dogs, the sweetest, the least aggressive. And then BOOM, she takes you by surprise. My parents have got their hands full.

They are an interesting pair, my mum and dad. I sometimes wonder if i've got a strangely open relationship with my parents. My mum knows about my lifestyle of raving, and has asked many a time if i'll take her out one time for an all nighter! That hasn't happened yet. I reckon she'd crash very early and start demanding somebody to find her a cup of tea. The subject of sex is also not a problem in my house. Like for instance, my dad telling me tonight that he loved the ginseng soap I bought him in Korea, and that, being that ginseng is famous for it's libido-improving qualities, I would be pleased to know he used it every day to wash his private parts. I said, Dad, you know, I think it's great you can tell me things like this.... it might be a bit weird, but hey, good for you. Some fathers might not want to share such things with their daughters, but I guess he thinks my future in alternative medicine makes me interested in these kinds of things. I wonder what my mum thinks of the ginseng soap. I'm sure she'll tell me next week, plus how it affects dad. As I said, there's no problem with the subject of sex in my house. I guess that will explain why i'm so forward and no doubt embarrass the hell out of people who don't speak quite so candidly on the subject.

No comments: