Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Transiberian Nightmares

Rainy season is approaching. The air has turned thick and muggy, the bugs are appearing in places you thought were once safe and protected, the temperature has turned up a very big notch, and you can almost see the condensation dripping off the windows and the walls. Everywhere people are beginning to mutter the little "むしあついね。。。" either to themselves or to somebody in close vicinity who also seems to be suffering from the humidity and the heat. I hate this time of year in Japan.

Vicky pointed out to me last week that there hasn't been a blog update for quite a while. I had to confess to her what I will here, that basically, life has been on the quiet side since Cait and Pascal left. I have had to keep my head down and keep life simple to begin saving for the big trip home. Naturally there has been a little techno, a lot of sushi, a great deal of Japanese study, a further deterioration of English, and a large consumption of alcohol. Which as you can see therefore, leaves absolutely nothing new and exciting to report on.

Wakako and I have been consumed with planning our Transiberian trip back to Europe. At any other time of year, this might very well be a breeze to organise. A few visas needed here and there, and a few stops along the way that need confirming, but otherwise, I don't actually think it is such a difficult trip to organise. Wakako and I however, have fabulous timing, and we will actually be traveling back right in the middle of the Olympics. This has made for a LOT of problems.

First problem: The Chinese government will not allow tickets for Beijing - Moscow to be released, just in case those pesky athletes need them for some random reason, until 3 days before each journey. Therefore, say we travel on 23rd August, we will not know if we have the Beijing-Mongolia leg of the journey confirmed until 20th August. If they decide to not release them, this part of the journey we will have to fly.

Second problem: Getting to Beijing. This is also proving to be a problem. We are traveling to China in the worst possible month - Typhoon season, so if the ferry even gets to China and doesn't get swept away by a typhoon we'll be lucky. We land in Qingdao, where we were planning to take a train to Beijing; however, the Chinese government are also holding back these tickets, therefore we will have to fly Qingdao - Beijing. Qingdao is also an Olympics venue, therefore this also presents problems of sleeping there.

Third problem: Sleeping in Beijing. Proving to be very close to impossible. Hotels and hostels are asking for a seven day booking, despite the fact we are staying for only one night. Prices have rocketed, so staying in something like a ten bedroom dorm for 7 nights is now costing the earth.

Fourth problem: Visas. China is making obtaining visas a real bloody pain in the ass.

Fifth problem: Considering all of these problems re: Beijing, Wakako and I thought "f*ck it, lets just fly to Mongolia and skip out Beijing". That also proved to be impossible, as they were asking for something like 600GBP, which I'm sure you will agree is really taking the piss for a one way flight on the same continent. Lets face it, Mongolia and Japan are not that far away from each other.

So, we are stuck with starting the trip at Beijing. Half of me is pleased by this, because I felt it was a little bit like cheating by flying luxuriously to Mongolia and starting the trip there. It kind of defeats the object of the whole thing. However, Beijing will no doubt bring on the most chronic headache lasting from now until the day we actually get on the Transiberian Train at Beijing, and I can feel the movement of the wheels and hear the chooo chooo chooo of the train. I'm not sure what chooo chooo chooo is in Chinese, but whatever that sound is.

Sigh. That is why I have not had a life for the past month. Many a nightmare keeps presenting itself in the planning. However, no matter what nightmare does present itself, nothing can take away the excitment of this trip I am about to embark on in less than 3 months. We will cross the continents by taking the route of:

Japan - China - Mongolia - Russia- Russia - Russia - Russia (I figure we`ll be in Russia for quite some time) Poland - Czech Republic - Austria - Switzerland - France - at this point me and Waka-chan will go seperate ways (sob!), Wakako - Spain, me - England.

England will obviously be the end of the journey, however, when I actually make it to England I do not know yet, as my stay in France may be for quite some time. I'll keep you all posted.

No comments: