Wednesday, September 10, 2008

China - Mongolia Photos

Whilst on the ferry to China I got talking to an English guy who had been done the Transiberian trip about 7 years previously. He told me a highlight of the trip was when the train arrived at the Mongolian border from China and it was at this point that the bogeys had to be changed. (This was the first time I heard the word bogey in reference to a train, child that I am.) It turns out Russian and Mongolian tracks are wider than the Chinese tracks; this guy told me that the whole train is lifted up and then the bogeys moved out, and new bogeys rolled under. When he told me this, being that I am usually extremely guillable and fall instantly for anything anybody tells me, I thought I was once again having my leg pulled in a very hard way. But it turns out it is true! They lift every single train carriage up using hydraulics, with you in it!!! This is done in a huge hanger building right in the middle of inner Mongolia, at 1am in the morning. Extremely surreal. Anyway, just wanted to explain what the photos of the train was about.

No comments: